The Village of Blacks and Whites dates back to the Revolutionary War, but its exact date is unknown. The name was derived from two rival tavern keepers, Mr. Schwartz and Mr. White. In German, Schwartz means black and therefore the crossroads came to be known as Blacks and Whites. On April 7, 1829, a Blacks and Whites Post Office was established. However, the name was changed to Bellefonte on May 11, 1875, so that it would be identical with the name of the Norfolk and Western Railroad Station. Then on August 4, 1882, the town was renamed Blacks and Whites. At a meeting of the local citizens, Dr. Jethro Meriwether Hurt proposed the name Blackstone after Sir William Blackstone (1723-1780), who was an English jurist. On February 23, 1886, the name of Blacks and Whites was changed to Blackstone. Blackstone was first incorporated on February 23, 1888.